Saturday, June 9, 2007

Villar de Manzarife to Astorga

I was tired at the end of today´s walk. Over 30 clicks and a lot of hours. I think I walked from about 7 to around 4 with only an hourish break. My steps felt shuffling, my pack felt heavy. It was hot and shadeless and mostly companionless, but there were lovely rolling hills with many wildflowers, as usual. Like every day so far, even the hard parts have been wonderful.

As it turns out, part of the reason that today´s walk was so difficult is that I have arrived at the true destination, the true end of my personal pilgrimage. Sure, I´ll go on to Santiago and to Finisterre, but I will remember Astorga as the city that has a Museum of Chocolate, a city in which every other store (I am not exaggerating) is dedicated to chocolate or candy. It´s an inspiring place. At the museum, there was a sampling area. Sampling. Of chocolate. It was sublime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...chocolate. QUE RICO! Ya entiendo cual ha sido tu insentivo todo este tiempo.

Blog Archive