Saturday, June 2, 2007

Iain

Some of you have written to me, concerned that I have not identified any pilgrims by name, worried that I haven´t met anyone at all. It´s not true. I always have someone to eat with, to tour with. Pilgrims under the age of 45 or so tend to cluster together as we are in the minority. There are many people I could mention--Peter, Carrie, Jen, Luke, Rob, Paul, Jimbo, Marta, and others. I have learned plenty from them, but just like in the Wizard of Oz "people come and go so quickly around here."

One person is receiving a promotion: Iain.

The promotion comes because I have betrayed him on this blog. It was a bit insincere of me to say that no one would have appreciated the tiny circus. He would have found proper delight in laughing at the kids who were laughing at the circus kid who was picking up poop. He happened to be off on another ridiculous mission at the time. I hereby apologize for slandering him by whining that there was no one good enough to laugh at someone shoveling shit. He laughs at me for doing it all the time.

In addition to being blessed with an impressive collection of vowels in his name, he has an excellent sense of humor. I´m patiently teaching him to speak American as his British leaves something to be desired. He´s an ESL teacher, so he appreciates the challenge. Sometimes we have to speak Spanish to overcome the communication gap.

We happened to fall into the same group for awhile and then took a rest on the same day and so are in the same group again. He´s a worthy companion, and he recognizes my superiority for having started a full three days and a mountain range ahead of his pansy stroll out of Pamplona.

Heeeeeeere weeeeeee gooooooo!

No comments:

Blog Archive