Wednesday, June 13, 2007

new plan

On June 28, 2007, I plan to arrive at Finisterre, the end of the earth, take off my clothes, naked as the day I was born 33 years ago that day, and run into the ocean.

Yesterday, someone looked at my passport and asked where I would be on the 28th. I said I didn´t know, but I told her about other good birthday celebrations I had while I was away from home. In Guatemala, I shared a birthday with an indigenous woman named Ruth, and she invited me to share in her fiesta in a teeny town outside of Antigua. In Ecuador, my friend Ann surprised me with her first attempt at baking in high altitude--a fallen and burnt apple cake that we ate gleefully with our hands. In Peru, Terri´s family made me dinner and let me bite the cake.

I had no plans for this year, but I think finishing up my pilgrimage sounds like a pretty good gift. That means I have to slow down now. After my morning realization that I should rearrange my schedule, I realized that I have to do short days from now on--no more than 20K--so that I can arrive in Santiago on the 22nd and leave for Finisterre on the 25th. Slowing down means I should be able to meet up with friends who are behind me. It means that I can savor my remaining time on the Camino. But it also means that I am going to feel antsy without walking as much. It means I´m going to have a lot of time sitting still. I suppose that´s good practice for the weeks, months to come . . .

Maybe once I get in the ocean, I could swim back home.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have it on very good authority that you came into this world fully clothed! xxoo

Mi-Suk said...

I love the idea of coming to the end of the earth on your birthday - and of savoring the last part of your camino. And you should bribe your numb right foot with rainbow nails.

Unknown said...

Skinny dippin, now thats what i'm talkin about. I wish you the best of birthdays B. I'm missing you down here in the slums of Richmond. We were going over that damn tiger poem in my British lit class and I couldn't help remember your crazy, I'v lived her over 25 years and I'm a citizen, office mate, just thought you wanted to know that while you were on the other side of bum f**k. Take care!

Anonymous said...

So, Bridget, tell that right foot that you won't go more than 20K if it will just give you a lousy additional 2K of comfort. i do like the rainbow nails idea though. What an amazing walk you're taking!

Anonymous said...

yo,
maybe you do or dont remember me (and my grammer kinda sux right now cuz im drunk) but its nick from film n lit 07 and some honor english class i dropped out of years ago cuz i was doing a bunch of illigal stuff. i just wanted to say that i am behind you and i do pay attention to random emails you send. furthermore, contact me so we can hit the bar when you get back. ill buy you a few rounds. ciao.
~nick yacoub

Anonymous said...

Very good idea Bridget, I hope it all goes according to plan (or if not, that the plan varies in a good way!) It's also my birthday on the 30th so I will have a drink and think of you!

Blog Archive