Wednesday, June 6, 2007

reunion

My rhythm had left me a day or two behind some other pilgrims with whom I had been walking, so I was delighted to catch up with them in Leon yesterday. Even in a big city, it is easy to happen upon people. Some of the folks are people who I know, companions I have talked to and laughed with. Others are people I just recognize by sight. It was excellent to see both sets of people, to trade stories and drinks and pizza and laughter and hugs with my friends--and to trade conversations limited to greetings and ridiculous gestures of inquiry toward one another´s feet, followed by pointing in the direction of Santiago with a nod and a smile. We´ll see each other then.

Apparently, while I was a couple of days behind, a group I had been traveling with selected me as the most likely to meet strange people and have strange adventures on the Camino. This is a dubious and welcome honor indeed.

No comments:

Blog Archive