Saturday, June 2, 2007

flechas amarillas--yellow arrows

There are thousands upon thousands of yellow arrows and scallop shells pointing the way to Santiago. It´s truly amazing.

For some communities it is a point of pride to make a particularly nice map for passing pilgrims; they invest money in beautiful metal scallop shells, lovely tiles. Other places have hastily spray-painted yellow arrows. Either way, we can always find where we need to be.

It´s a remarkably safe and reassuring feeling. It´s so rare to be constantly guided without being trapped in an unhealthy or dull routine. Every day there is something new to discover, but there are proper boundaries to guide me.

Yesterday I met a guy who has been walking from Geneva. My Camino is almost halfway through, but he has been walking for more than 7 weeks, and his is coming to a close. When asked what he would do at the end, he replied, "I don´t know what I´m going to do when the yellow arrows stop telling me where to go."

Asì es.

No comments:

Blog Archive