Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Day 44: Santiago de Compostela to Negreira - 20.9KM

I nearly quit this morning as I was trudging out of Santiago, but a friend gave me a pep talk. I carried on. I could stop walking, but my ultimate goal was to make it to the sea, and I think I would be disappointed in myself if I didn’t do it. As Santiago fades into the distance, I dream of coming over that last rise and glimpsing the ocean.



There was a steady rain for most of the day. I walked by myself except for the last little bit during which I talked with Adrienne, a Virginian. We discussed being 44 and working in higher ed.

The walk was pretty.  I usually try to be present to people who pass me while walking, but I listened to music all day and sang to myself.

The Finisterre Camino feels quieter and more contemplative.  People often keep to themselves.  I arranged to have dinner with a pilgrim who I had met very early on who was on his way back from Finisterre and Muxía.  Another returning pilgrim joined us. For the two of them, that was their last night before arriving in Santiago the second time, so we discussed a lot of big picture ideas about our own experiences about what we have learned over the past several weeks.

I have three more days of walking until I reach the sea.



No comments:

Blog Archive