Friday, June 14, 2024

Day 39: Portomarín to Palas de Rei - 24.3K

Today had the most rain, the longest distance, and the weakest legs of the whole Camino.

I got up and out early, but I got a little lost on the way out of town and ended up taking a slightly longer alternative trail.  This was the first morning that I can recall feeling like my legs were weak and not adequately recovered from the previous day’s walk. I’m really looking forward to getting to Santiago, partly because it means I’ll have a day of rest.  I think my body is exhausted.

A couple of folks tried to give me some energy and walk with me this morning, but it was futile. My legs just refused to feel peppy as we went up long hills in the drizzle. The rain wasn’t really that bad, but my lack of energy was.  

By the end of the day, I was feeling a little bit better and I’m not proud to admit that a part of me was joyous that the high school kids who were stepping so lively yesterday were dragging today

It was very green and pretty for much of the day. 




I ended the day with a massage to try to rejuvenate my legs. I hope to dance down the Camino tomorrow with my new legs and shorter day. I walked around town a little bit extra after dinner with Australians Clare and Linda and American Erin so that I could hit 50,000 steps.

The Camino is all abuzz with talk of when people will be arriving in Santiago.  Some of my friends from earlier in the Camino have already arrived. Some of us are going to be arriving the same day. It will be fun to reunite with people.  I’ll be walking in very late in the afternoon on Monday. I have a long 27k day to get there—my longest yet. I could have stayed 5k away and walked in with fresh legs, but I decided I wanted to arrive tired. And I certainly will!


No comments:

Blog Archive