Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Day 30: Astorga to Rabanal del Camino - 20K

 Today was Sarah’s first day of walking!  It was hot and slightly uphill with many places to stop and rest and get a cool drink. 

Along the way, we met Bienvenido, an 89 year Spaniard sitting in front of his garden selling shells to adorn backpacks, as is the tradition here on the Camino. It was fortuitous because Sarah didn’t have a shell yet. 

We walked on and eventually fell into step with a slowly moving young man from Scotland named Adam. He had hurt his knee and was trying to take care of himself. We wandered in the hot sun together. Since he was only 20, he had to tell us about being 10 instead of 30. He got two dogs, played soccer, and learned the banjo.  

We met a man making wax stamps for pilgrim passports. He made one for me for Finisterre and put it as the last stamp.  Something to strive for!


I’ve been trying to slow down at the outside of a town to savor the experience instead of just dragging myself, exhausted, to find my lodging.  Adam, Sarah, and I stopped for a game of Santiagolf.

This evening we attended vespers and listened to the chanting monks. It was nice, but made me feel baffled by Catholicism.  

30 was the worst year of my life. My brain quit on me. The year did have bright spots, such as befriending M and having so many people love and support me.

No comments:

Blog Archive