Monday, June 10, 2024

Day 35: Trabadelo to O Cebreiro - 18.6K

 Today was a big climb, uphill nearly the whole day. I was worried I would have to fortify myself with a stale tortilla and an even staler chocolate croissant, but I happened upon some magical place that had the most beautiful breakfast—a plate of cheese, a fresh omelette, a huge bowl of yogurt, honey, and granola. It was incredible.  It can be hard to locate yummy food on the Camino, but this was excellent and just what I needed. 

I walked a little bit again with Linda from Australia who I ran into at breakfast. We talked about 35. I am finally in the years of digital photographs and can remind myself of things that happened in a particular year. Most notably, I won an award at the Arlington County Fair that year for my entry in the theme category in mixed media:  glitter glue and googly eyes.  I also walked with Erin from Connecticut who bought her first house at 35. 


O Cebreiro is a gorgeous little stone village on the top of a mountain. It was worth the climb to get here. We went to a mass which concluded with a pilgrim blessing. I was moved when pilgrims read the blessing in their own languages:  Korean, Taiwanese, German, Dutch, Portuguese, Estonian, Spanish, English. Language and stories have felt sacred during my time on the Camino, and hearing the many voices reading the same text was stirring. 


Sarah leaves tomorrow, and I will be on my own again. 


No comments:

Blog Archive