Thursday, June 13, 2024

Day 38: Sarrìa to Portomarín - 22.1K

 I slept in until 6:45 by accident and then had a slow breakfast, so I wasn’t out of town until about 8 and that coincided with the time when 50+ Spanish high achoolers were taking to the Camino. Sarria is the place where many people start the Camino and so it gets very crowded.  Walking the last 100 kilometers qualifies people to earn a Compostela, the certificate indicating you have done the pilgrimage. 

I was trying to remind myself that I want many people to have the experience of being on the Camino, but it is certainly hard to not be frustrated with the masses of new people who don’t follow the customs and norms of the Camino. 

It was exciting to reach the 100K countdown marker!

,

I had a nice walk with Adri early on and then Linda a little bit later.  When I finally dragged myself into town at four, I put my legs up the wall and then collapsed into a nap.

Tomorrow will be both my longest walk and my rainiest walk. I’ve saved up some Harry Potter audiobooks for just this kind of special occasion.  I am trying not to resent the new people on the Camino. But it does make me look forward to my walk to Finisterre, which will be quieter.

I’ll be leaving very early tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are they all clean and shiny?

Blog Archive