Monday, June 3, 2024

Day 28: Astorga - a day of rest

 I left my albergue this morning and had lots of time before my apartment opened up. I ran into some younger pilgrims and had churros and chocolate with them.  Then I headed over to Sheena and Owen’s apartment where I relaxed until I could get into my accommodation where I took an unhurried hot shower and did laundry. Bliss, particularly after spending last night in an albergue with my head up against the feet of an Italian bike pilgrim. 

I picked Sarah up, and we had a yummy lunch, visiting with British John and Australian Michael, who I thought had quit due to injury. It’s amazing how people pop up when you least expect them to. 

Sarah and I celebrated Sheena’s birthday dinner with Owen and Audre in a beautiful restaurant in the shadow of the cathedral. 

At 28, I went to Guatemala to learn Spanish while living with a family, a vital experience that has shaped the rest of my life.  It feels like a sort of magic that I can communicate with people in a different language. It was my first time in the developing world and my reverse culture shock upon returning to the United States was FIERCE.

Another day of rest tomorrow before walking resumes. 

No comments:

Blog Archive