Thursday, June 6, 2024

Day 31: Rabanal del Camino to Acebo - 16.9K of beautiful torture

Sarah and I spent the morning walking with Jimmy the 76 year old Californian from Texas who was a kindergarten teacher for 20 years. At age 31, he was in Paris, admiring himself in the mirror and trying to get his scarf tied just right to fit in with the French. Note that he is still rocking the scarf. 


I could have happily talked to Jimmy for hours.  He’s utterly delightful, but after enjoying cake and singing him happy birthday in anticipation of the real day on Dec 1, we headed out on the rest of our big climb.  

We visited the Cruz de Ferro, an important place on the Camino, where pilgrims come and leave a rock that represents the burdens they are carrying and would like to leave behind.  I didn’t feel like a rock really represented how I was feeling on my Camino, so I decided to bring a piece of seaglass from another part of the world that gives me joy.  I’m not sure exactly where the source is, but I like thinking of it being washed up on the shores of the Camino.


Most of the rest of the day, I went down, down, down.  It was beautiful, but I was too busy staring at the ground and sweating and swearing to notice much.

This is the first day I have wanted to quit.  I was hot and the slippery downhill rocks required great care.  I eyed the taxi signs greedily, but I persisted and dragged myself (and my third blister!) into the town after 8 hours of walking.  At the end, there were nice people, gorgeous views, and plenty of laughter with a pack of Brazilian ladies.


My 31 was recovery from 30.  I remember how challenging it was to go back to work after being sick. I also remember a nice road trip to Florida to visit Beth. I stopped in Savannah and Charleston and drove to Key West.  

  



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So thankful to reconnect with you today! All caught up as I’ve spent the last hour treating myself to reading your blog posts 😊

Blog Archive