Sunday, May 13, 2007

anticipation

I feel like I'm about to start junior high, and I don't know my locker combination.

The packing is mostly done. Those of you who have direct experience with me and packing will be amazed to note that I have not had any particular tantrums or tears--not about the packing anyway. I'm not sure how to take that. Usually packing is the hardest part. Either things are about to be fantastic or . . .

Fully packed, I'm carrying 18.4 pounds without water. When was the last time I walked more than 5 paces without carrying water, never mind 5oo miles? (It's 24.6 with 3 liters of water, and 3 liters may be on the dry side).

I've received lots of good advice recently. It falls into two general categories:

  • If it gets hard, just keep walking.
  • If it gets hard, just quit.

There are correlaries to each of these. Folks in the first school of thought like to talk about how to treat blisters. Folks in the second school of thought provide recommendations of lodging in the south of France.

They both seem pretty good to me. Whether assiduously medicating carbuncles or sunning myself with Brigitte Bardot, no matter what happens, it'll be grand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bridget:
One mantra of us cyclists is "never get off the bike." Which is to say, there is new life on the other side of pain. So push it, do not give up, you'll prevail. [Sez he, about to tour French wine country in a VW.]
Arnie

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Torres said...

this post reminds me of "the long walk"

Blog Archive