Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Self Quarantine Day 9 - Happy Birthday to S

I made chocolate chip cookies today and brought them to S for his birthday.  I didn't have any candles, and anyway, I wouldn't really have been able to light them and then hand it to him directly.  So we stood on the deck and visited a little, many feet apart, and I gave him an air hug.  I waved at Rosy the cat through the window. 

I have a little dry cough that accompanies my allergies, but while I'm out walking, I try to swallow it so that no one will hear it and look askance at me.  The allergies cause me to sleep a lot.  I'm afraid of slipping out of routine.  I want to be sure to keep a strict schedule and don't get into the habit of lounging about. 

Trump has decided that this will all be over in a few weeks--by Easter.  Uh huh.

Many teachers are worried about teaching online and parents are worried about teaching their kids.  I feel sorry for all the stress.  I posted this on Facebook:  Teachers and parents-who-just-became-teachers: I wish I could give you each a homemade cookie right now and tell you that this new learning paradigm will all be okay. Really, it will. Your kids will learn some things. They won't learn others. At some point--the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise (any further)--they will go back to a sort of normal educational environment. As a teacher (and a sometimes online teacher), I can tell you, that above all, you should be kind to yourself. You'll *never* get it just right. Or, if you do figure out a way to do it right, please let me know. I'm 20+ years in, and most days, I'm still winging it. Breathe.

No comments:

Blog Archive