Saturday, March 21, 2020

Self Quarantine: Day 5 - (re)writing curriculum

I'm usually too tired to write an update at night.  But then the next morning it seems hard to remember the highlights of the previous day.  I can't believe they are already running together.

I spent a lot of time yesterday writing curriculum for my students.  I'm shifting a scaffolded argument essay to the topic of COVID-19 government restrictions because they requested the change.  I'm proud of having put it all together.  It was so much less stressful to research purposefully and with the goal of educating my students.  Even though there was a lot of furious clicking and skimming, I didn't feel as alarmed as I have when I'm just doing furious clicking and skimming for myself.

Nice walk-and-talk with Beth in the evening.  I discovered another park nearby.  There was an exercise class taking place in the tennis court, and the participants were all appropriately distanced as they jumped and pushed up and lifted.  I passed a triangle of women chatting in the neighborhood.  They stood in the middle of the street about ten feet apart, enjoying the night air.  They looked kind of ridiculous as they stood awkwardly and raised their voices slightly so that they could followed the rules.  I complimented them on their rule-following.  I found it amusing that I needed to excuse myself as I walked by.  Ordinarily, I would say that if I was trying to get around someone in a crowd.  In this circumstance, I was coming as close as 6 feet, which seemed a bit of a violation of personal space.

S brought me some groceries, which I traded him for part of my dinner:  sheet pan sausages with Brussels sprouts, potatoes, mustard/honey/crushed almonds sauce.

I have a bad habit of reading the news when I awake at 2am and 4am and 6am.  I don't know what I imagine is going to happen if I tune out.  Everything.  Nothing.  Gotta start putting my phone in the other room while I sleep.


No comments:

Blog Archive