Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Day 22: Calzadilla de la Cuela to Sahagún - 22.8K

 Another long one today. I think that I might have a cold or just some kind of heat exhaustion. I came into the hotel after nine hours of walking and collapsed. The fields were pretty and I stopped many times throughout the day in little cafés in little towns. The Camino seemed almost empty today, which was weird because I left early and usually people overtake me, but I guess they kept walking while I sat and drank cold beverages.  It’s very difficult to find a balance between resting and moving. I don’t like to get here too late, but I don’t want to not stop either.

The yellow Spanish broom was fragrant and gorgeous today.

At 22, I got my first job at NOVA, which obviously became very important to me. Interesting that I applied for the job because Mary L. wrote a letter reaching out to tutors at the W&M writing center and encouraging us to apply. It’s definitely a lesson in how connection can be important. I moved to Arlington and lived in a group house that looked like a Monopoly hotel, which I inhabited with five other women, including my friend Mary who remains important to me.

Today, Vanessa, who is age 22, had her last go at the game. She said that since she turned 22 in early May, she’s been on the Camino and has been learning about how to find solitude as well as community. It’s something I can definitely relate to.

Tomorrow should be an interesting day. I’m taking a train and skipping a couple of stages so that I can get myself to Astorga in a few days to meet friend Sarah there.  Soon there will be a rest day. My body needs that, I think. 

No comments:

Blog Archive