Thursday, May 23, 2024

Day 17: Burgos to Hornillos del Camino - 20K


Got a very late start today. We weren’t on the road until 9:30, about 3 hours after I’ve usually started.  I was dragging from the beginning but after filling up with an embarrassing quantity of yogurt from the supermercado, I managed to step a bit livelier and talk the morning away with Mi-Suk. We shared stories about being 17. 

It’s funny that people on the Camino have come to expect this question about what they were doing in their lives on the age that corresponds to the day of my walk. Some are prepared with their answers when we run into each other.  Today I learned that one Estonian pilgrim went to visit her 24 year old first boyfriend in Ireland when she was 17. A Swiss man released his first music album. A woman from Scotland left her small town and went to Glasgow and felt free. 

I was student council president and editor of the school newspaper called The Spectrum, for which I wrote earnest editorials.  I got into William & Mary through early admission and promptly dropped out of my calculus class with my icky teacher. I still have no clue what the f(x) means. 

I had to say goodbye to Mi-Suk today. That made me grumpy as it has been so nice to spend time with her.  After a lively walk discussing high school and first jobs, I dropped her off in a little town where she caught a taxi. I then had many more K to go and  felt tired despite the beautiful scenery on the empty Camino. I was glad to finally glimpse the town. 

No comments:

Blog Archive