Monday, May 20, 2024

Day 14: Villafranca de Montes de Oca to Atapuerca - 18.5 KM





 A day of varied scenery, starting with a BIG and STEEP climb up a mountain through some trees.  Later there were goats and cows and open fields.   





I walked alone for much of the day. I talked to Hayley from the UK about how at 14 she was a mean and pesky popular girl but turned it around after an intervention by her father and ended up going to Cambridge. Later I met Jenifer of (but not from) SC, and she talked about moving to DC from Montana at 14 and learning about different cultures for the first time. 

I recalled being grounded at 14 for coming home late from a cast party. I don’t think my parents have ever been so angry at me. 

Lovely dinner at a restaurant.  We met very nice local people Julian and Anna who chatted with us and sent us off with hugs and good wishes. Julian became a poet at age 14. 

Today marks two weeks on the Camino!  Tomorrow we’re walking into Burgos, which was my least favorite walk of my last Camino.  I’ve been dreading it. Apparently there is an alternate route, which doesn’t require highways or industrial areas. We’ll see. 

No comments:

Blog Archive