Monday, May 27, 2024

Day 21: Villacalzar del Sirga to Calzadilla de la Cuela - 23.2K


This was my longest day yet, and I thought it was going to be very difficult, but it turned out just to be flat and predictable through fields of wheat, and I walked with some nice people so it went by quickly.  I had steeled myself to listen to some Harry Potter to pass the time, but I didn’t need it at all.

There were lots of answers about what year 21 was like for people.  A few stood out to me. A pilgrim named Vanessa is 22 years old so people were teasing her because it was going to be her last opportunity to participate in the game.  Interestingly, she seemed to sum up a lot of experiences. She said that last year was a big year because she traveled by herself a lot, fell in love, had her heart broken, and went back to school. Those were themes that had come through with nearly everyone.

It was also interesting that one pilgrim described working in a nightclub and how it was so horrible and convinced him to go back to school. Another pilgrim described getting a job as a bartender at a concert venue and talked about how it is her dream job and she’s been at it ever since. Funny how different people find fulfillment in different ways.

My 21 was remembering my dad shooting off the cannon in Wren Yard prior to graduation!

There was one long stretch without a town, but some nice man had set up a truck in a field and served delicious food, including a special shot of free homemade orange juice to go with fried egg sandwiches.  It was an oasis.  It’s a moment I’ll revisit in my head one day—just a nice break in a pretty place with familiar faces eager to trade stories over yummy food.  Bliss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember the canon!

Blog Archive