Friday, April 17, 2020

Self Quarantine Day 32 - No Waste

I've now been self-quarantined longer than the longest month on the calendar.

I know every bit of food I have in my house.  It reminds me of when I was walking on the Camino, and I could recite my possessions.  I knew just what I was carrying.  While walking across the countryside with my backpack on, I would review the items in my mind, down to the last safety pin and band-aid.  Before I realized that I would be so aware of my food, I saved my big grocery receipts from my last trips to the store so that I could review them if I needed a reminder of what was stuffed in back of my freezer.

I'm not afraid of running out of food, not at all.  I have plenty.  I might have to resort to eating things that aren't my first choice, but I certainly won't go hungry.  Cooking is such a pleasing way to pass the time that I am happy when I have ingredients that I can use to make actual recipes.  But I can make do with rice and beans--or some equivalent--if I need to. 

I feel a particular responsibility to use all of my fresh food, and it is incredible how much better I am about using what I have when I am home all the time.  In regular life, it wasn't unusual for me to have a drawerful of produce go bad before I used it.  That waste doesn't happen now.  There was one small bit of cooked spaghetti that was too old to eat couple of weeks ago that I had forgotten about.  That's it in over a month.

So I'm winning my war on produce.  On day 32, I plucked the eyes out of some fingerling potatoes and cooked them up with fresh green beans.  My milk expires today, and I have left just enough to make a smoothie.  I have some hummus in the fridge right now that is nearing its deadline.  And there's lettuce that needs a salad.


No comments:

Blog Archive