Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Day 92 - Glorious Plants

I haven't been as devoted to my plants as I could be.  They are out there.  I look at them when I come in and out of the house.  But I don't tend them.  I throw some water out there occasionally, but my landlord is really the one who is passing the hose over them regularly.  When I think of it, I fertilize. 

Despite my attention to the scallion early on in the pandemic, the herbs are neglected, though I do use the basil from time to time.  I had big plans for planting containers of tomatoes, but somehow time slipped away.  Spring was cold, and I kept delaying.  Now it feels too late.  I suppose that's just as well.   

The petunias look beautiful, though.  I bought those on a lark, not realizing that they would spread and fill out.  It's just a little strip of them along the fence line, but they make me happy, all pink and bright and starting to sprawl.  I don't think I'll ever be much of a gardener, but that little burst of color is joyful.  Maybe what I've realized from the scallion is that I'm more of a quality than a quantity plantress. 

I'm most excited about my morning glory which is starting to wind itself around the fence.  I had two plants at first, but one of them passed away quickly.  I coaxed the remaining one, asking it to grow, watching it closely.  It was disappointing for many weeks, but just over the past few days, the tendrils have reached out and upward.  I look forward to buds and to the eventual morning when I wake up to flowers.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1NxYS-1dU1e-P41h7KLBTToxZsjjGeBhZ

No comments: