Friday, June 12, 2020

Day 89 - How Woke I Am Not

I gathered some of my online African American literature students today for a Zoom meeting.  Typically, we do all of our work asynchronously--just trading words but not in real time.  There is a strong structure to the online class that doesn't allow for the same reflection and interaction that takes place together in a classroom.  I decided that times being what they are we needed a non-mandatory meeting.  Four students showed up to talk today.  

I facilitated, but I tried to focus on listening because my white voice should not be the loudest one right now.  I took some notes, just fragments.  

What struck me most was a Black student who proclaimed, "I have realized how woke I am not."  Right there with you.

Here are some other words I jotted down:

pain
anger rage
tired drained exhausted
hope
normalized
building my brain
genuine
moment
the media has invested in the story
staged
investing and advancing
narrative--changing the narrative
who am I?
this has shaken my whole everything
there's a lot more unlearning that i have to do.
raw


 

No comments: