Monday, June 1, 2020

Day 77 - 9.4 Miles

9.4 miles stretch between me and the White House.  It would take me 15 minutes to drive from my cozy suburban house to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.  I wanted to go demonstrate during the day, but I am too concerned about catching the virus.  I shudder to see people packed in together.  I yearn to support the voices who are speaking out.  But I didn't go there yesterday during the sunny day of non-violent protests, and I didn't go there last night while fires raged and tear gas was sprayed in Lafayette Park.  

Instead, I sat perched on the edge of my couch.  It is odd to watch the unfolding drama on television and to feel so distant.  I found myself flipping back and forth between MSNBC and CNN, trying to follow the events in D.C., getting impatient when the camera flipped to other tense cities across the nation.  

No comments: