Friday, June 12, 2020

Day 88 - Verbos

Spanish class was a mess today.  I felt every day of those eighteen years since I had last studied irregular verbs.  It was ugly.

I fondly remember my first week of Spanish class in Guatemala when I spoke only in present tense.  I am.  You are.  He/She is.  We are.  You are.  They are.  Even that was tough because of the two kinds of being--ser and estar.  Permanent, impermanent.  

But it gets so much more complicated when you start to situate yourself in time.  

Now I'm trying to figure out how to live in a different mood, not even a tense.  The subjunctive mood.  It requires a complete reorientation regarding possibility.  I have to think about whether things are real or just possible.  Then I have to make the endings match the meaning.  Learning languages is magical and maddening.  To think that I have to completely alter the way I view the world and wrap my tongue around it.

No comments: