Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Why Barack Obama?

There are a lot of reasons why I support Barack Obama for president, but the main reason is because the first time I heard him speak, I was inspired. Like many Americans, I met Barack Obama when he gave this speech in the summer of 2004, part 1 and part 2. At the time, I was feeling pretty hopeless about my own life and about my country. Obama was introducing Democratic candidate John Kerry to the Democratic convention, but when he finished his speech, I was crying, and I uttered aloud, "I want him for president."

I still feel that way.

That's why I'm going to spend the end of this year and the beginning of next year in Council Bluffs, Iowa encouraging voters to caucus for Senator Barack Obama. It seems like a ridiculous endeavor, even to me, but it also feels important. Bush has brought so much negativity to the country. Barack Obama is the first political candidate I can ever remember being excited about. After spending so much time being angry and ashamed of my country for the past 8 years, I want to be feel like I am a part of the movement to restore hope.

I realize I sound like one of those canned campaign commercials. So be it. I've never been to Iowa; I expect it will be a fantastic adventure. It can't be any odder than walking across a country, can it?

No comments: