Saturday, September 22, 2007

my favorite medication

Since I returned from Spain, I've been walking and walking and walking, partly because I like it, but partly because it helps me to even out my mood in a way that I have never before been able to do on my own. It's an incredible feeling to have some measure of control over the ups and downs, though I certainly can't sustain the number of hours I was walking when I was on the Camino.

It took me years to fully realize how vital exercise can be. Drugs are a much easier solution. Now, though, there is increasing medical evidence of the usefulness of exercise as a treatment. I am hopeful that my insurance company will soon be funding my pilgrimages.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

fresh air. endorphins. adrenaline. Natural drugs. (I am avoiding working on my research paper)