Friday, July 16, 2010

safety

Before I left, many people were concerned about my safety. Rightfully so. There was an encampment of red shirt rebels camped out in the middle of a busy part of Bangkok. There was violence. Some people died. A colleague who frequents Thailand exhorted me not to come.

A month or so after the uprising, things had quieted down. Melinda, Avni, and I arrived.

The funny thing is that I feel safer in Thailand than I have in many other countries. I walk down the streets and through the markets unmolested. I take care with my possessions, but I don't feel threatened. I have seen absolutely no evidence of political activity. Funny that before I came, all I thought about was the possibility of violence, and now that I'm here, I spend my time visiting Buddhist temples and hanging out with monks.

No comments: