Sunday, August 13, 2023

Sunday walk - 264 days to go

I have a countdown app on the lock screen of my phone, which is keeping track of the number of days until I get on a plane for Spain in 2024 to walk the Camino de Santiago in celebration of my 50th birthday.  It's intimidating to think about all that I need to do between now and then to prepare for the trip, but it's also really exciting and energizing.  

I went for a long walk today (or what counts as a long walk when there are 264 days to go).  For 7.6 miles, I wandered along the Mall and around Capitol Hill in the 90 degree heat.  I wore sneakers, though I think that next time I'll wear boots because by the end, the soles of my feet were a little uncomfortable from pounding the pavement.  I carried a tiny backpack with just water and essentials.  By early May of next year, I look forward to doing double that number of miles per day (day after day after day--for a bare minimum of 30 days, probably more) while carrying a much bigger backpack.  Despite the heat, it felt joyful to move my body--up until about the last mile.  

There were lots of people around enjoying the summer Sunday.  As I watched them, I felt as though I had a secret.  To look at me, you wouldn't know that I was starting such a meaningful journey.  Even though I was in high spirits, I wasn't lightfooted.  I was aware of the changes that need to take place with my body before I can undertake another long walk.  I'm committed, though.  I need to lose inches and pounds to get into Camino shape.  I have a lot of tough workouts and training ahead before May 3, 2024.  Part of me doubts that I can do it, but part of me is thrilled by the challenge.

I walked past the Capitol Building, and it was under construction.  We both are.



No comments: